Tuesday, August 2, 2011

REVIEW: DOCTOR WHO - A FAIRYTALE LIFE #3 & #4

DOCTOR WHO: 
A FAIRYTALE LIFE 
#3 & #4

IDW Publishing

Written by MATTHEW STURGES
Art by BRIAN SHEARER
Colors by RACHELLE ROSENBERG
Lettering by SHAWN LEE
Edited by DENTON J. TIPTON
Covers by MARK BUCKINGHAM and PHIL ELLIOTT

To end off this limited series and also to help to try and catch up with the single issue comic reviews I need to do I’m combining my reviews for issues #3 and #4. 

I might combine more single issues in the future also when I review them as I tend to only go to the comic shop maybe once a month. But with the new DC relaunch books coming out I'll try to read, review, and post those reviews as I get the books.

In my review for the second issue of this Doctor Who limited series I talked about how I had hoped this story as it entered its pay off issues of 3 & 4 would have a lot more to offer up because as it was its course was very standard sci-fi. It did improve but for the most part only by a duck on the head measure. Read #3 and you will get that joke and it was one of the few really creative things I found in this story.

The biggest star of these last two issues and this limited series in total is Amy Pond. The writer did a pretty good job with writing her and capturing the onscreen character. 

The characterization of the Doctor though is very hit and miss throughout the series but that’s true also in the history of people writing the Doctor for comics. 

I really enjoyed a lot of the Doctor Who one-shots IDW put out in the past and feel this story would have been better suited to a one-shot. I think it would have turned out more compact and more streamlined.
But the next test will be when I buy the trade and read this story as a whole because sometimes my view of a story changes when I’m able to sit down and read the story as one thought.

DOCTOR WHO: A FAIRYTALE LIFE #3 & #4
2 out of 5 Stars

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: