Tuesday, October 12, 2010

DOCTOR WHO #13-14


WRITTEN BY tony lee
ART BY matthew dow smith
COLORS BY charlie kirchoff
LETTERS BY robbie robbins; neil uyetake
EDITS BY denton j. tipton
COVERS BY paul grist, phil elliott, matthew dow smith; charlie kirchoff

The first two issues of the final 10th Doctor IDW storyline begins here with SACRIFICE Parts 1 and 2. As always my reviews are short and without many details or spoilers (but when I start ranting about something) but what I will say about these issues right off is how much I wish we had gotten the chance to see more stories of the travels of Matthew and Emily with the 10th Doctor. With it appearing like the 11th Doctor IDW time will start with Amy Pond as his traveling companion it does not sing that well in my eyes for us seeing Matthew or Emily again. I have Part 3 of this story on a stack to read so no SPOILERS for me please.

The story smells a little of the Black Gaurdian Trilogy of stories from the Classic Series during the 5th Doctor's time with Matthew sort of taking on the Turlough role; which is highlighted more in my mind by the Turlough Diary angle the story takes. Maybe Tony Lee found a little inspiration there.



3 Out Of 5 Stars
My star rating is for the most part based on a hope that the story pays off in the end. I have enjoyed almost all of the art IDW has used for the Doctor Who books but the writing needs to pay off more. At times is seems like they are costing on it being a big brand tie-in.


review written by Brian C. Williams

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: