Friday, January 14, 2011

REVIEW: HORTON HALFPOTT

I picked up a ARC of this book and got it signed while at ALAN this year. I really wanted to get something signed by the writer since I really enjoyed his book The Strange Case of Origami Yoda. Been reading Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger as my before bed read every since ALAN; which meant it took me way longer than usual to finish the books because I hardly ever go to bed on time and spend most of my nights writing. But every time I picked up this book and read a chapter I really loved what I read. 


I have heard comparisons for this book to  Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and though I see that in some fashion I never think comparisons are fair and look at each book as what it is, it's own story. But if you want to compare it to the Lemony Snicket books to find readers for this book then go for it. I think anyone who enjoyed those books will enjoy Horton Halfpott.


This book has a great cast of characters given all the attention they need and no more, giving each scene all the attention it needs and no more, and gives the whole race of the story all the attention it needs and no more. Those things and more are way I really loved this story. The writer had a story to tell, he told it, and at no point in this tale did he waste the readers time on yelling "Hey, I'm a writer." but he is that. And also a very good writer. Very creative and tapping into a scene in a different way that I'm not reading in any other writing at the moment and that's what every writer in my view should strive for.
4 out of 5 stars



and here are a few star only reviews:

ENEMIES & ALLIES: THE DARK KNIGHT MEETS THE MAN OF STEEL
1 out of 5 stars

BIG BANG THEORY: SEASON THREE
5 out of 5 stars

THE MIGHTY AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST
3 out of 5 stars




Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: