Monday, January 3, 2011

REVIEW: STAR WARS: DARK LORD- THE RISE OF DARTH VADER

STAR WARS: DARK LORD- THE RISE OF DARTH VADER was a book I had checked out of the library several times but something always jumped ahead of it to read. I started this book thinking it would be something I would read slowly while reading other books, maybe a when out at the beach read, but it got a hold on me and I just raced through it. I’m a pretty slow reader, it usually takes me a week or two to read a book with my attention span but I finished this in a few days.
I have to say off the bat that the vehicle and ship name dropping in description can get a bit were it slows down the story at times but if you are a fan of Star Wars you will probably get into that part of the story. Heaven knows Star Wars has a universe where every space ship and toothbrush has a name.
As it is always with tie-in books the writer has to be a slave to two masters, one the hardcore fans and the other causal fans. If you are not a fan at all let’s just face it, and I really think tie-in books are underrated, but let’s face it, they are not open to readers who have no idea about the subject matter. That’s not their monkey.
You will get plenty of mentions of places and characters and a few appearances to keep your Star Wars geek heart going. I myself really loved the first meeting in the book between Darth Vader and a character from Star Wars: New Hope who was portrayed by one of my all time favorite actors in the movie.
The highlight of the book and what maintained me reading early on was the insights you get into Darth Vader right after the actions of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I think it was a nice touch for the writer to talk to someone who wore the costume to get a little insight into what it maybe like for Darth Vader in the first days of wearing his new armor.
This book has weak spots. I’ve always found Jedi in books or movies rather boring but this books strength is in how it explores the new life of Darth Vader and how his relationship with Darth Sidious was turning him completely into the strong arm of the Empire.
In the end after finishing this book, even though it has many drop points of interest, mainly when it focused on the Jedi, it left me really wanting to read another book in the Star Wars universe; so the book got a hold on me there. The next book in timeline would be Jedi Twilight but my library system does not have it so I’m skipping ahead to The Force Unleashed books. 
3 out of 5 stars

And here are a few quick stars only reviews:
NIGHTWING: A KNIGHT IN BLUDHAVEN
4 out of 5 stars

CATWOMAN: CRIME PAYS
2 out of 5 stars

IRON MAN-DIRECTOR OF S.H.I.E.L.D: HAUNTED
3 out of 5 stars

Reviews by, Brian C. Williams

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: