Monday, April 4, 2011

REVIEW: HEREVILLE - HOW MIRKA GOT HER SWORD by Barry Deutsch

I got a ARC of this book at ALAN in Orlando but just now I read down to the bottom of my To Read stack where I could dive into this book and boy do I wish I had read it earlier. This is one of the best graphic novels I've read in a long time.

Hereville contains a lot of things I love in a book. I was introduced to a new culture with great world building but the writer didn't hit you with so much information that it felt like you were reading a Harry Turtledove book. Some pages contained bottom of the page *notes, forgot what those are called, but with those page notes it didn't distract me from the story or take me out of what was happening with the characters in the moment. Just a phrase or word here or there which was great.

This book has a lot of humor mixed with a lot of adventuring. Reminds me a lot of Spirited Away which is one of my all time favorite stories. The story dances through all phases of the lead characters life with a smooth quick motion that never slows down nor speeds up in an unnatural way.

If you like Bone I'd say your love this story. May even direct a few Coraline fans to this sense I got a little of that reading it also.

I highly recommend this book and really hope that there will be sequels because I really want to see Mirka move forward to get her chance to fight her dragon. If I had my wish this would just be the first stage in a heroes story. I'm a greedy reader.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: