Sunday, April 3, 2011

REVIEW: SMILE by Raina Telgemeier

If I had read this story during other time of my life it wouldn't have effected me the way it did with me reading it right now. I've had issues with my teeth going back a long time. Back to when I broke my jaw in college and never was able to have it fixed properly. I've had a lot of work done on my teeth but still have a lot to do so this story wasn't as much of a light hearted read for me as I've been told it was for others.

I loved the artwork and every character stood out. The art style reminded me of KIDS NEXT DOOR for some reason but that's just part of my weird nature than anything else or maybe I'm thinking about PEPPER ANN(sp)?

The color work by Stephanie Yue was outstanding. I enjoyed that the artwork followed the character around to all sorts of settings and showed those settings from many angles. Some artist stay within a few sets the same as a film crew does but in no way did Raina Telgemeier take the easy way out, you got every emotion, every fact, every taste of the life of the lead character as she tries to get through this point of her life.

As I said at the start this story was personal for me in ways that more than likely it wasn't for most other people. I'm so happy for people who have the chances to take care of health issues that they need to address but most in the same situation as the lead character in this book would have either probably had to live with the damage or have all their teeth pulled. Ask most people if they know there are actually more than one kind of dentist, ask a lot of people if braces are a choice, ask most if something as simple as not being able to have teeth pulled fills them with fear, its a fear for some.

The story wasn't meant for this line of thinking but it depressed me. Like I said, this time of my life. I put my issues aside to read the book because I'm a fan of the artist but afterwards it sent me into a full day of depression.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: