Monday, February 8, 2010

REVIEW: THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN

by Sherman Alexie
Publisher: Little Brown and Company

   My gf is a Librarian and she recommended this book to me when she read it. The unusual thing is I was the one who mentioned it to her after I read Neil Gaiman mention it on his blog but I was at the time going through a Doctor Who book reading fun addiction path. I do that every so often, most of the time when I have read a few bad books in a row and need something I will like at least in some fashion no matter what just because it is a Doctor Who book enjoy reading. Enough geek, the point is I didn't read it when I first found out about it. She thought I would like Part-Time Indian also because she said the lead character reminded her of me. After reading the book I will say I do not think it was an insult.
   As I mentioned in my review of SOME GIRLS ARE sometimes books can remind you of old pain and stirr up your thoughts about those events and sometimes lead to better thoughts about those times. The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian did that for me. I spent most of my early childhood sick or in a hospital. There were very few days when I wasn't sick in some way. This story based on true events from the life of the writer hit home with me and though I'm not much for reading things outside of the strange and bizarre, fantasy and scifi type stuff, and keep a lot of straight fiction on my shelves unread, I have found myself starting this year off by reading two dramatic pieces and boy did I pick two great books to start with. Part-Time Indian now is ranked as one of my all-time favorite books.
   The book also has some really great illustrations by the lead characters that greatly enhance the story. I would love to see this turned into film but they need to keep the illustrations in there somehow through animation or the like because some of the heart from the character is his illustrations and without them I think the story loses a lot of heart. If you have a reluctant reader who is a young male then this book would be great for them. The story does not end with clean cut lines and the sadness that flows throughout the story never goes away but that is a true truth of life.
   The truths that lay within this book have been and are still ignored by most of this country. This is a part of America everyone needs to read about. Needs to know about. Now with all of my talk about pain I don't want to skip by the humor this book lives with. I've always believed that if you mix humor with pain in a story, the hit of the pain is that more power and the other way around also because that is real life.
   Have the urge to ramble on about how much I loved this book but the simple way to go is:
   READ THIS BOOK
   READ THIS BOOK
   FOR GOD'S SAKE....never really understood that statement....anyways, READ the absolutely true diary of a part-time indian. For the lowercase impaired read THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN. Oh, and don't even think about going, "It's a YA book and I'm too ol..." Shut up! Read this book.

(c)brian c. williams
SYSTEM*PRODUCTIONS

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: