Monday, March 29, 2010

REVIEW: THE GUILD #1

Based on the web series created by Felicia Day
Story by Felicia Day
Art by Jim Rugg
Colors by Dan Jackson
Letters by Nate Piekos of Blambot
Cover by Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines and Tariq Hassan
Alternate cover by Cary Nord with Dave Stewart
Publisher Dark Horse Comics


I was introduced to The Guild web series by my friend Damon and I watched all of Season One in one night. The same man who told me to check out Big Bang Theory; which is my second favorite current series going. The Guild is third on my list and on top by the way is Doctor Who. 

I have seen a few web series that used the talking to the camera, webcam tool to tell their stories but this series was the first time it really fit what the stories were about. Felicia Day have created a group of characters a lot of us can say, "Hey, I know that guy." or "I know that lady." Anyone who tells you have to be into games to enjoy this series is way off. The Guild is very much in that community but it is so much more than that part of its whole. Hell, I love this show and the only games I play are sports games on our used PS2. Ok, I also have Buffy The Vampire Slayer games for our used XBox. And further into my geek nature if they come out with Doctor Who games on the Wii, as has been announced, I'm there doing the Wii.

And just you do not need to be into games to enjoy The Guild series, you don't have to be caught up on the series to enjoy this comic. Though its pretty cool if you are. This series is a sort of origin story for Codex before she started playing the game that would become such a large part of her life. This is the beginning of the story of a young lady trying to fight the struggles of dealing with the world, dealing with other peoples bullshit natures, and dealing with her own inner structres.

Since the only single comic issues I buy these days outside of Doctor Who comics are first issues of a few series I will have to wait to read the rest of this story but when the trade does come out I will be there in my local comic shop ready to pick up the begining of The Guild.

Review written by Brian C. Williams

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: