Sunday, March 20, 2011

REVIEW: Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?


'ARE THESE MY BASOOMAS I SEE BEFORE ME?'
WRITTEN BY Louise Rennison

I loved this series when I first started reading these books by Louise Rennison but I think after a time a little of the quality of the books disappeared for me in the similarity between each succeeding book. Only up to the point of the last two books did the writer change up things in a different way. 

I rated the first two books at 4 stars but everything up until this book I found myself only giving 3, which isn't bad either; so when I found myself reading the last book in the series I enjoyed it much more, still a 3 but a capital 3 this time. 

Maybe this line of thinking was because I had a long time between reading the next to last book and ARE THESE MY BASOOMAS I SEE BEFORE ME? Anyways, I enjoyed the last book and I recommend the whole series as a whole.

It was kind of strange that a series with the sort of short journal entry format would last ten books. That's just a thought me and others have had. I also found myself instead of picturing journal entries with the last book thinking about a Twitter feed. Times they change quick.

Another complaint I found myself having while reading the series after the first couple books was the switch to photo covers from the original artist style. As many know I'm not the biggest fan of photo covers and especially those I find not to be that original. I also thought the new covers tended to paint the books as YA books when in fact they are more Middle School, 7th or 8th grade books.

Anyone looking for a wrap up ending to the series will not find it here. Besides a brief mention from Georgia that this would be her last journal, but she doesn't give a reason, you wouldn't even know this is the last book. The books ends with her finding a book friend but doesn't several others? The ending was sort of flat to me.

This review has me complaining a lot, whining, which is very much my nature but I loved the this series. I found myself laughing out loud many times. It contains its own way of speaking and a fun nature to growing up that you don't see often these days.

3 out of 5 stars
(c)system*productions
Brian C. Williams

* Just to let people know who follow me on LiveJournal that right now I'm on hold there until I decide if I want to pay for an account. I've hit the max on books to add to my library there.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: