Tuesday, March 22, 2011

REVIEW: Tangled by Carolyn Mackler


TANGLED

Published by Harperteen

I borrowed this book from Mar's personal books so it was the type of book I would read a little and then put down for a while to read something from the library; so the reading time it took me for Tangled was longer than normal but that in no way showed how much I enjoyed this book; which I did enjoy very much.

The story is told from the point of view of several different characters who have lives that have crossed and in a way  I say this is a story collection but I know story collections or anthologies is a bad word in the publishing world and there is a  reason books like this are never called a collection of any sort, even if it is or isn't, Mar and I went a few minutes back and forth on that subject sitting on the balcony reading one day.

My favorite part of the book is how it keeps you reading and moving into things because the formating and how the stories were told didn't let you guess what was going to happen until the last minute. If you have read a lot of books or write your own books you probably have a hard time not thinking about what this is leading to or what this means when reading something. I hurt my own enjoyment of books at times by over thinking where things are going and for the most part I couldn't do that with Tangled. When people ask me why I hardly ever give any prose books 5 stars its usually for this reason.

Before anyone asks, yes I did love The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things, I have a signed copy of the book, and if you are asking what do I consider her best book it still is The Earth... but that doesn't in any way mean that I'm down grading Tangled. The Earth... is actually one of my favorite books of the past five years.

Carolyn Mackler creates characters that you care about and even more important also characters you hate. Characters with their own voices, lives, and inner joys or fears and most of the time like real life both at the same time. When she needs to go places some others would shy away from in her stories she goes there as much as the story needs her to.

4 out of 5 Stars
Review(c)SYSTEM*PUBLISHING
BRIAN C. WILLIAMS

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: