Wednesday, March 23, 2011

REVIEW: Chiggers by Hope Larson


CHIGGERS

Published bySimon & Schuster

I read this after a few hours at the gym sitting on our balcony resting on a nice sunny day. I read it without putting it down once; which is always pretty weird for me since I'm constantly jumping from one book to another.

I have been a fan of Hope Larson's artwork for a while but this is the first time I've actually read a whole book by her and I'm really glade I checked this out at the library. 

If you haven't noticed from past reviews I get a lot of books from the library and libraries are a big part of my life. Without libraries I would never read books such as Chiggers because of having limited funds for buying books I usually only buy things I know I'm going to enjoy to a certain degree and keep in my personal collection. Thus, without libraries I would never reach out to writers, artist, publishers, or story styles I don't already have within me.

Sorry, got on a little library rant but I do love them so. My normal graphic novel reading is of the superhero style so libraries give me a chance to read books like Chiggers which I have had recommended to me many times in the past.

Hope Larson's stories have a lot of life and energy to them. I keep thinking something is going to explode. Sort of like being around someone full of life and at some point you know their head is just going to explode. That maybe not what the story is trying to get over to the reader but that's what I felt?

The only problem I had reading Chiggers was every so often I felt like I was missing a page or didn't read something? The writer may have been signaling little jumps in time but I didn't feel it in the way that was probably meant but that a small thing to point out in a otherwise fine story about several young people truly experiencing the social chaos of life for the first time.

4 out of 5 Star
(c)SYSTEM*PUBLISHING
BRIAN C. WILLIAMS

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: