Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where I talk about gun fighter writing, digital publishing, DRM, and having a writers body.



I’m been thinking about writing; which, you know, writers probably should do from time to time. Thinking about reasons to write, what to write, and what the future holds for myself and others. These things have been pacing their way through my mind a lot of late so excuse me while I ramble a bit.

I think every writer sits on a hilltop looking out holding the same notebook with its 2,000th skin wondering if this time, this story, these words will finally speak in their voice. Self-publishing adds attack dogs sneaking up on the hill behind you. Then again trying to edit your own work also adds a swarm of bees coming your way. Oh, and by the way you in this scenario sweat honey.

During the revolutions of the past the artists, the writers, they spoke the voices that needed to be heard. They did it with straight truths and they did it with symbolism and allegory. Their blood drips were glassed with parables and fables to protect those laying down their lives for the fight.

It’s not like we have lost our way in better times but in the days we live in now I see a future soon where we will be returning to those walks.
I know it’s a cliché but the internet is the Wild West for artists. It’s up to the artists not to tame this atmosphere of chaos but to ride it like a stallion you don’t want to tame because if a twister is coming you will need a horse with flames coming from its nostrils to make it to the other side.
The publishers are hiding in their houses from the weeds and flying dust and screams scaring them to the point of freezing in spot with tears and pissed filled pants. They were scared in the early days of the internet, frozen with fear when it was just sprinkling, they were afraid when the clouds were just graying.
We can’t wait for them to take action to push these tools forward- it’s up to the artists to do that. Writers must always be ready to hold the hands of human error and that’s what the internet is. There are a lot of great talents out there doing this already, many have been doing it for years.

I’ve been doing the monthly releases for about a year now. After the first storylines wrap up in Tin Universe and Chaos Read I’ll be looking at whether I will be continuing to do them and if so in what form.
Now I don’t have any sort of built in following like Mark Waid has but I do think releases such as that can work. I’m one who thinks it works better digitally than print now. If approached well the monthly comic book, short story, daily publication- I think they can not only survive but thrive.
It will be interesting as time goes by to see how things work out for Mark Waid. I’ll be following along to not only see what materials he produces but also to see if I can learn anything from how he is doing it.
The Installment Plan

I have a feeling you will start to see more and more of this when it comes to blogging. It’s already happen quite a bit with laws trying to saw bloggers have to reveal if they get stuff for free for reviews. And with laws like that most bloggers are saying fuck you but when it comes down to it soon I see where courts will ask the question that with everyone having the chance to basically be their own newspaper or news outlet then should they be held to the same standards as those places legally? Now not saying that applies with this story but I think this jerk ass move by Hasbro reminds me of other thoughts I’ve had.
Hasbro tricks fan-blogger into revealing his address so they can send him legal threats over widely available leaked product - Boing Boing

As I told a friend when they pointed this story out to me- This publisher is trying to do it right. They are trying to win when a lot of publishers are just trying not to lose when it comes to ebooks. It’s a sports metaphor but I think it really fits when you talk about how publishers, record companies, and studios have approached the internet.
ECW Press will launch a “Free eBook with Purchase” campaign

Now to start I’m going to say I don’t think DRM works. It causes so many problems and not just for people who are pirating stuff. It creates a lot of bad feelings from customers. But I also want to say something a lot of people seem to forget. I choose to not DRM my materials if I have that choice in places I publish through but that is part of the choices artist, writers, whoever should be allowed to make when it comes to their work. That’s a personal choice with their work that they produced. I don’t think it’s the right choice but it’s their choice.
Tor/Forge to Go DRM-Free By July: Immediate Thoughts

I’ve been running the You Pick The Price model for Chaos Read and have found that most people will just choose to read it for free. I’m probably going to keep using it in some way for projects but not for any other reason than it will be just be a different approach. It does seem though that people would rather you set the price and they choose to buy or not.
Pay-What-You-Like pricing study is bullish on naming your own price - Boing Boing http://boingboing.net/2012/04/23/pay-what-you-like-pricing-stud.html

I love what people like John Green, Felicia Day, and Chris Hardwick are doing with their YouTub Channels. I will add in names like Kevin Smith, Amanda Palmer, and tons of podcasts as people out there producing some very interesting projects.
Genres Stretch, for Better and Worse, as YouTube Takes On TV


Stray Thoughts:

I was told recently that I have a writer's body. I guess someone telling me I have a writer’s anything is good? Right?

Someone asked me today if I have a filter. It’s a lot thinner than it once was but yes I do. What you see from me online is a little filtered. If someone I know is reading this ask Mar and she will tell you what it’s like dealing with me unfiltered.


Cool things you should check out:

John Green’s FIFA season ends and I’m sad. I love watching these videos. Not just because I love sports games but also because of the stories John Green creates for the team and players. Added to the game is how John discusses topics with a wide range as he plays- everything from YA fiction to self-esteem
Self Esteem: The Miracle of Swindon Town #106:
The Future: The Miracle of Swindon Town #107:

Everyone knows I’m a big Felicia Day fan and her The Flog show is one of the best on her YouTube Channel.
Felicia Day & Robin Thorsen Cook Up An Old Family Recipe in "Torta" - Th...: http://youtu.be/sj4wOwC0ezk
Felicia Day Plays Violin with Tom Lenk - The Flog, Ep 4:

I bought a t-shirt yesterday. Go there a support Geektress which is one of my favorite podcasts.
@Geektress: Every t-shirt is on sale and there are a couple designs on clearance for $5.

and I’ll leave you with this.
Holy Crap Wtf: This is what a TARDIS dildo looks like


And as always here are some of the places you can find me online:

CHAOS READ: Bimonthly Short Story Series. You Pick The Price!

TIN UNIVERSE: Bimonthly Short Story Series. $0.99USD

Facebook

Twitter

Smashwords Store

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: