Monday, April 16, 2012

Where I talk about Reviews, Self-Publishing, Apple, Amazon, Game Of Thrones, the Department Of Justice, and John Green’s skills at FIFA




The first thing I’d like to talk about today is reviews. Not that I get a ton of them but I’m getting more and more.
Also I consider micro reviews, reviews, nothing wrong with them except when you dive into being critical about the work. You just don’t have enough time for anything besides a star rating on Twitter or in that limit of words. Going for more in that sort of environment leads to- “This sucks.” “Best thing ever” and “I will never get those min/hrs of my life back after reading this.”
 Currently in my thoughts when it comes to reviews, besides the fact that I might stop reading them good or bad, is that I find it interesting that some people get angry that I don’t respond to their bad review of something I wrote.
These people take time to write me an email to say why haven’t I gotten into a pissing contest with them? Sorry you didn’t like the story but writers don’t owe readers an internet duel.
Also I’ve never gotten how reading a story or seeing a movie you didn’t like is somehow a personal issue. Move on.

“If you make art, people will talk about it. Some of the things they say will be nice, some won’t. You’ll already have made that art, and when they’re talking about the last thing you did, you should already be making the next thing.
If bad reviews (of whatever kind) upset you, just don’t read them. It’s not like you’ve signed an agreement with the person buying the book to exchange your book for their opinion.
Do whatever you have to do to keep making art. I know people who love bad reviews, because it means they’ve made something happen and made people talk; I know people who have never read any of their reviews. It’s their call. You get on with making art.”  Neil Gaiman

And another quote I found today that I like.

"...I know that I suck. I know I suck balls and I know I suck other things. Thank you for being specific about all the things I suck." -- John Green talking about people commenting on him playing FIFA but I think it fits reviews also.

I say as Neil Gaiman has said, “do your art.” I believe the very act of doing so will piss off a lot of people and there is no better reason.

I’m going to say something here that might piss off some people I know who are published with big publishers or work for them, but I think even though you win in sheer volume of good and bad views heading your way, it’s nothing like what self-publishers tend to receive.
I just think the spit and boil towards self-publishers is almost more personal from reviewers but also that might be part of the internet age of trolls and hiding behind a handle? Maybe self-publishers look like easier targets also.
Maybe, I don’t know, just a thought.
I could just be sitting here in my side of the yard thinking the dog shit over here stinks worse than the dog shit over there?

Now to the hot bed topic just about everyone is talking about in publishing- The Department Of Justice suit against a number of publishers. I’ll just throw out some things I said on Twitter about this.
I love that publishers are standing with Apple against the evil Amazon. Now this is a Game of Thrones.
Apples predatory software and operations make Amazon look holy. These enemies we choose to sleep with?
The DOJ/publisher/Amazon mess is that, a mess, but there is no golden army to stand with.

And in other news I’ve decided to stop releasing my monthly free stories and just focus on Tin Universe and Chaos Read. One story a month is enough for me right now to center in on writing, revising, editing, and releasing each month.

Here’s some cool things by others:

Want to read a free Graphic Novel. Here's a good one: Texas Steampunk I Cathedral Child http://www.webcomicsnation.com/divalea/cc/series.php If you like it cash up the creator.
"I think Own Goal is our second leading scorer this year." Pre-Yeti Love Life: The Miracle of Swindon Town #99: http://youtu.be/Tbdsp2hYaEg I liked this discussion of YA Fiction and Love during The Miracle of Swindon Town #100: http://youtu.be/4FfYYZCa61w
And Once again I’ll say it. I would love to do something like what John Green does with this if I had the hardware but focused on me playing Madden.
And that leads me to say that I still haven’t started playing Madden 11 that I recently picked up. Too much writing and other life events going on.

And as always here are some of the places you can find me online:

CHAOS READ: Bimonthly Short Story Series. You Pick The Price!
TIN UNIVERSE: Bimonthly Short Story Series. $0.99USD
Facebook
Twitter
Smashwords Store
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/hangbrian
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Jennifer Sulkin said...

you're into game of thrones, and graphic novels? i like you even more now! see you next week!

--- Jennifer, your friendly booth babe / graphics chica