Friday, May 2, 2008

THE TITLE IS: IF I HAD THE MONEY

After I took out the garbage, checked the mail, and watered our balcony garden, I sat down with the newest Previews catalog and thought I would list and write about, though briefly, about the things I would purchase if I had the money to do so. It will be a sad little entry in a way, sad in a geek boy sort of fashion. I usually get Previews every month and even though it is a seldom case were I actually order anything, I am an expert window shopper.

The first thing that grabbed my attention was BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #16. For the most part I only buy trades these days but if I had the money I would buy Buffy as a monthly pick and this issue has Buffy traveling to the future where she meets future slayer Fray. This will either have fans cheering or screaming for blood. More Fray is something many fans have been demanding for a long time and a lot have thought about the situation where you might have Buffy and her gang meet up with Fray. Whether or not this will turn out to be a great story meeting fans demands or a story that may have listened to the fans hearts too much is yet to be seen. In a related Buffy topic I went to Best Buy the other day and saw all of the Buffy DVD sets on sale for $19dollars. I PAID 30 PLUS FOR ALL OF THOSE!!! SHITT!!!!

Ok, I need a soda, be right back….

First soda of the day down and we have another DARK HORSE mention in BARBWIRE OMNIBUS….yea, ok? ….ok? X was my favorite when Dark Horse did their original superhero universe. I have to say on the subject that when the Barbwire movie came out I was surprised the movie did not make more money than it did. Not that I think it is a great work of fiction or anything, just because look at the character, look at Ms. Anderson, and look at typical American male movie viewer tastes in boobs, guns, and violence. I thought they had a money maker there. And to be fair, Barbwire was not that bad of a book. Matter of fact I thought most of that universes books were of quality. Better than a lot of shit being published during those days. Maybe it was just bad timing that keep them from success? Or maybe I don’t have a clue to what I’m speaking of?

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA ANNUAL #1 brings me into DC COMICS land. The cover sales itself to me with a lot of emotion shown there but then again it is by Alex Ross.

WONDER WOMAN: THE CIRCLE HC with Gail Simone writing Wonder Woman it equals out to a factor of me really wanting to read Wonder Woman now.

They are making a G’NORT figure? Dude, I love that. I would love to have a collection of all of the different Green Lantern figures. Though in another in the many ways that I am weird I only buy figures that will match up in height with my Doctor Who ones. Told you I am the weirdest geek in the west.

Entering IMAGE territory I see SAVAGE DRAGON #138. I use to get this series each and every month and I really need to start buying the trades because I only have the first one right now in my collection. Savage Dragon I think always entertains. Show me any other books that entertained for that long of a stretch with superhero type stories? Savage Dragon has never been perfect but at least for me what it has always been is enjoyable.

The WINGS OF REDEMPTION SPAWN figure has a cool design.

WITCHBLADE VOLUME ONE for $4.99, nice price. I think most companies should keep prices down on the first volume of a series to get people hooked. I’m not going to randomly pick up a series trade if it 19 or 20 plus for the first volume. You gotta sale that shit in as many ways as you can.

ECHO #5, because it is by Terry Moore and STRANGERS IN PARADISE along side Jeff Smith’s BONE saved my love for comics years ago when I had given up on them. I ordered the first issue directly from the Moore’s company and now have the signed issue framed.

THE LONG RANGER VOLUME TWO: LINES NOT CROSSED reminds me of my dad. My dad always loved The Long Ranger shows. I like things that remind me of my dad right now.

G.I. JOE: AMERICA’S ELITE VOL. 5- WWIII OMNIBUS. What can I say? After school it was G.I. Joe and Transformers, then over to P.B.S. for DOCTOR WHO.

HACK/SLASH ANNUAL: SUICIDE GIRLS. Ok, am I the only person who has a uneasy feeling with Suicide Girls stuff? … Maybe?

NEIL GAIMAN’S CORALINE in graphic novel form. I loved the book and, well, Neil Gaiman, all of his stuff ME want. Wave says if I ever get to meet him she is going to tell him I have a crush on him. I don’t. He does have nice lips though.

COMIC BOOK TATTOO, I really really really and another really and one thrown in with capital letters REALLY want this.

ZOT! VOLUME ONE: THE COMPLETE BLACK AND WHITE STORIES 1987-1991 TP. This is so on my want list. Page 306, go buy. My computer says there is verb confusion in that bit of writing. No shit lappy, My Brain Is Full Of Confusion!

I will be buying DOCTOR WHO CLASSICS #8 and DOCTOR WHO CLASSICS VOLUME ONE on page 318, I write here to remember. DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE I will snag at B&N. I would buy everything DOCTOR WHO fundage willing, which it is not at the moment.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #40. This is the best series MARVEL is producing and I buy all the trades. A lot of people praise this series and I will do so also. That sounded like bad grammar even to me?

SECRET INVASION #4. This mini series has my attention and interest, though I will not get suckered into buying all the trades like I did with CIVIL WAR.

CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI 13 #3. I love Paul Cornell’s writing and I just ordered the WISDOM trade from my local comic book store. I have been a fan of his since the New Adventure Doctor Who novel days.

SHE-HULK and X-FACTOR by Peter David. If I only had the money because I’m really growing into a Peter David fan and in the past I did not buy that much of his work.

And there goes my window shopping and money whining. I might do this with each Previews I get. Fills so space in my blog and in my day.

C.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: