Tuesday, April 22, 2008

THE TITLE IS: MEXICAN COFFEE AND SNOW

I really do not feel like writing today. I really do not have the fire from deep inside that forces me on even when all I wish to do is give up but I will not be giving up today because I have learned one of the biggest lessons you can learn as a writer and it has nothing to do with structure, grammar, spelling, or any other shit that happens to be a weakness of mine. The lesson is the one of when you have a notion to call yourself a writer then you must also see there will be many many days when all you want to be doing is nothing but what you have to do is write.

So to save a little bit of my soul I will write here and then go off to work on MEXICAN COFFEE which is a maddening story that is doing just what I want it to, but when you are as nuts as I am, sometimes that is not the best thing.

Here are a few Opinion Reviews of some materials I have checked out of the library recently. I'm sitting on half of a journal of these type of reviews that I have written but I will only start with a couple today though. I will write about reading Transformers: Generations Vol. 1 and Batman:Snow.

TRANSFORMERS: GENERATIONS VOLUME ONE
IDW
BY, Bob Budiansky

These are an IDW look back reprinting of classic Transformers comics. I have not checked out any of IDW's Transformer new line of stories but the thing I love about these older books is how much humanity plays into things through human politics, human greed, and human interactions with the robots in disguise.
I checked this collection out of the library. The only Transformers book I have in my personal collection is
Prime Targets: The Unauthorized Story Guide To Transformers. What can I say I'm a crack head for story guides. I still want the G.I. Joe guide.
To end before I start a ramble about my love for story guides I will further state that I enjoyed this collection and recommend it to Transformers fans. Maybe I should see if the library has any of IDW's new line of stories? Any Transformer fans out there wish to recommend any trades to me?

BATMAN:SNOW
DC COMICS
BY, Dan Curtis Johnson, J.H. Williams III; Seth Fisher

Mr. Freeze has always been one of my favorite of all of Batman's enemies since the first time I saw him on BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. When I spotted Batman: Snow at the library I had to pick it up. The art by Seth Fisher was different and I quite enjoy different. I really took to the sharpness the art style gave to Gothem City especially.
The story by Johnson and Williams is of course a re-telling of the origin of Mr. Freeze but Snow also tackles angles I think Batman would have taken early in his vigilante carrer. I highly recommend this to true lovers of the Batman myths and stories about Bruce Wayne's early years as the Dark Knight.

Ok, now I'm off to tackle MEXICAN COFFEE. I wish I had some right now.
C.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: