Monday, August 23, 2010

DARK REIGN: ACCEPT CHANGE

WRITERS
Brian Michael Bendis, Jonathan Hickman, Jeff Parkers, Adam Felber, Jim Mccann, Matt Fraction

ARTISTS
Alex Maleev, Stefano Caselli, Carolo Pagulayan, Paulo Siqueira, David Lopez, Mitch Breitweiser, Daniel Acuna, Mike Deodato

PUBLISHED BY
Marvel Comics

I know a lot of people who would and have agrued with me to the point of yelling about what I'm about to say but I've enjoyed Marvel's big crossovers from Civil War to Dark Reign and most of the tie-in books. With that said this is my first introduction to the Dark Reign storyline which follows on from Secret Invasion.

But before we get into the review I have to say $24.99 for half a book of stories and half a book of so called extras is a rip. Not a rip in bad content but a rip in God Loving Dollars. Come on Marvel, $19.00 would have been fine but $24 is just too much for a book of reprints, that a lot of fans would probably already own from other collections they have purchased, is just a case of playing games as the dealer with the addict.

Alex Maleev draws Namor like a total Douche. Just thought I would say that. Been on my mind for a while. I was thinking about saying he draws Namor like The Situation from Jersey Shore but I was told even referencing him would throw a little content Douchiness my way. I don't watch the show but I do watch TMZ while cleaning the apartment...What? I don't like Soaps and the only other thing on during the day is House reruns and I've seen all of them 800000 times already.

I enjoyed reading this trade even though I had already read some of the stuff like the issue of War Machine which is included here. Even though I think this trade is overpriced for what you get, I do think its worth adding to your collection as an introduction to the Dark Reign storyline. If you have been keeping up with all of the Marvel crossovers in trade form this should probably be in your collection also.

As I stated before I'm a big crossover fan and in the market I'm a bigger fan of Marvel's big crossovers than those by DC Comics because there seems to be a cause and effect historical move to the crossovers from one to the next with Marvel. Civial War, Planet Hulk, Secret Invasion, all in my eyes have been worth reading. Marvel doesn't always live up to the ideas they come up with but I give them a tip of the glass for trying the things they have been trying over the past few years.

Marvel keeps coming out with good core ideas, DC only has Green Lantern crossovers that have grapped my attention...and yes I consider Blackest Night a total Green Lantern crossover.

I hope I get the chance to read more Dark Reign books and isn't that what they want from a reader, to ask "I want more." and "What's next?" and "Can I sale my truck to buy all of these trades?"




Oh, and if anyone is interested my all time favorite comic book company crossover is Unity.
















REVIEW WRITTEN BY brian c. williams


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: