Monday, August 2, 2010

SECRET SIX: DEPTHS

WRITER Gail Simone
PENCILERS Nicola Scott, Carlos Rodriguez; Amanda Gould
INKERS Doug Hazlewood, Mark Mckenna, Bit, Rodney Ramos, Carlos Rodriguez; Mike Sellers
COLORIST Jason Wright
LETTERS Sal Cipriano, Travis Lanham; Steve Wands

PUBLISHED BY DC Comics

Even though they are not in the same tone I keep getting the same good feelings reading this trade as I once got reading Justice League books when I was in highschool. I loved those Keith Giffen Justice League International and Justice League Europe era books. Still do and would love to have every issue in trade. I get that same sort of happy here with Secret Six, though to be honest I don't know if I really can explain the comparison.

I love that at no time do you think of the Six as rehabilitaed villains. A quick flip from bad guy to good guy is always boring and since villians are almost aways better characters than heroes why waste one by making him or her into a hero? These are very human characters or as close as you get in mainstream superhero fare, which is rare in Big Two books. Well rounded, what's that? IT'S IN THIS BOOK! Something you don't see much but Gail Simone does it in spades.

I love the cast of this team and the chemistry of the realtionships makes it for me. I thought I would hate Bane on a team but I liked how he's being used here. He kind of sucks by himself anyways. He's a bottom level Batman villan who Gail Simone make you find interesting...or as interesting as Bane can be. Was actually looking to pick up another Secret Six trade Sunday at the comic shop but we got there past closing time so maybe next month?

Review written by Brian C. Williams

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: