Monday, January 29, 2007

IT WAS GOING TO BE NOTHING AND IT TURNED ON ME

Not really much interested me in the news today or much of anything else. Currently reading stuff here. Peter David is a writer that some do not like because of his personal views. And his writing has been hit or miss for my personal taste at times. He came up thought when talking with a friend tonight online who said, “I can‘t read his writing, I just can‘t stand his views on politics.’…which just strikes me as stupid. Maybe I’m stupid, child like, or just plan off my kill-hole but hating someone’s work for their personal views just doesn’t make sense. I have lots of writers and artists whose books and movies sit on my bookshelves but I would no more invite them over for drinks in my home than call Dick Cheney up and say, ‘Hey, buddy. How does fish sticks and Budweiser sound to you? Great, come on over The Factor starts in a hour.’

I once said that to not be political in today’s environment is akin to suicide and I believe that but for followers of good storytelling and followers of the arts to start putting stamps on works just based on the creators personal views is to me like closing down a bookstore and not caring. If you hate a writers work. Fine, move on and find someone else you may like. But if you only hate or will not approach a book or story because the artist may seem too liberal or conservative then your not thinking with both sides of that thing sloshing around in liquid above your shoulders. I use mine from time to time, make a point to try it tomorrow. You may even find your ability to understand the rules of Wheel Of Fortune better.

And sort of along the same drained, washed along road side acid, pitched away thought pattern that I march to I hate when a writer clearly aims a fiction book politically one way or another. Yes, everything that makes up a writer life will make it in some way or another into his writing if he gets time to develop a good body of work. I just have never seen people as on the right or left, liberal or conservative and I think for a writer to plainly paint characters as being on one side or the other is truly a act of one dimensional writing and is lazy. And I maybe a hack but I’m not lazy in how I approach characters or stories.

Oh and no matter how much we like to paint those we hate as being one form of primordial life with legs. Looking at them as one wave length creatures. Its just not true. Ever. Demonizing is a failure of stupidity in the laziness of not being able to see the weakness falls, fear runs, animal leaps; evil natures that exist within all of us. Yes Hitler loved, Jesus probably did get down with at least one babe, and George W. Bush- Mr. President himself is not trying to get more people killed on purpose. Its fun to paint him like Doctor Doom in a bad suit but we all are human. The tragic and sad thing is that some of us wear blinders when it comes to living in the world with other people. He is one of those people. Doctor Doom he is not.

I lost my way from a thought to just post a website link of a writer I like for the day to a rant that lead on but lead nowhere….

Maybe that is because that is how I see the world going. Into the future but standing still while it does so little.

Written at the pay the rent job,
C.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: