Sunday, June 17, 2007

REVIEW: Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman: Derailed

To start I hope this will be just the first of many reviews I want to write about books, movies, and music I have consumed as a consumer of consumer goods. Also most reviews will be up Sunday morning but things came up like me sleeping so this had to be posted later than planned.

My first review subject will be of a trade of Spiderman issues by Peter David. Besides being a regular visitor to his website(would post a link but use Google people) The only things I have read by Mr. David are a few issue of his The Hulk and X-Factor and I enjoyed them but I was not a regular follower of any of his runs. Recently I also picked up a used copy of- Star Trek: A Rock And A Hard Place as my first Star Trek book purchase. That review may come around in about a month. Currently reading three other prose books.

The only Spiderman books I have bought since I started only buying trades a few years ago was J. Michael Straczynski's run on Amazing Spiderman. I consider his take on the character probably the best of my generation. Hard act to follow there.

Derailed, is a mix of stories and I enjoyed it. Even with a story with crazy alternate reality characters David captured drama storytelling and emotional depth which was no where in site in my view in Spiderman 3. Hey, I love it alone for "Bad Wolf" being on a alley wall in a Uncle Ben panel. Is David or one of the artists a Doctor Who fan? Or am I just a geek out seeing things into other things?

To finish this lack of a structured review, review, get use to it because that is how I write about a book or movie or something. My reviews tend to be more or less a, "It was good, it was bad or it was worth spending money on." Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman: Derailed was worth the money I paid for it. It is better than that sounds too, honest. I'm just not that great of a writer to put it in writing in a review. Shit the thumbs up thing is taken, what do you want? That's the best cheat when it comes to writing a review in the businese.

Next Review- Captain America: Civil War. That will be posted here next Sunday with a review following every Sunday utnil I get sick of doing them.

C.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Marlena said...

You dork.

Jen said she will DVR Torchwood and Doctor Who (she planned to anyway). She will ask my mom how to get them on to DVD for you.