Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Where I actually post a few reviews and the WPS



     
     








*I wont be writing up reviews of everything I read but I will post the reviews here when I have something to say about something I've read.


Currently Reading:
     As I'm always reading several things at once so when I do a reviews posts I'll also discuss books I'm reading.
     My reading patterns are always all over the place because there isn't really one type of book I like to read. For some reason that seems to drive other people crazy, you'd be surprised how many people who tell they find it strange finding out the varied lists of books I read.
     I get into moods of reading nothing but graphic novels because I can read a lot during a very short period of time. When reading prose I like to sit down a little, settle in to read a number of chapters at once so if I'm busy writing or for whatever reason I usually go into graphic novel reading mode.
     Plus I'm so fucking slow when reading prose. Really slow.
     Right now I'm in one of those moods but I'm also reading two prose books, one non-fiction{which is way not my norm} and the other is the first book of a series. {Just what I needed, another series to swim into.}

Drift by Rachel Maddow
*Rachel Maddow is one of the few political commentators on TV that I can listen to. I think it has a lot do with her out front intelligence and sly humor. But I think the main reason behind my love for Rachel Maddow is how she has this true love of American politics. It helps her dance through things that are probably making most of us want to Road Warrior people in traffic or take a Punisher approach to political masturbations in Washington. If you are interested in modern American politics and U.S. military history in general you really should read this book.

The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson
*I had never even heard of this series or this book or the writer until a friend pointed me in its direction. I just started reading it so I don't have much to say about it so far but give me time, anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis knows I tend to talk for ages about just about anything. Ages, ages, and ages. I can go on and on and on.



I'm going to try to write at least a paragraph or two about books I read from now on.
   
     Wonder Woman: Odyssey Volume 2
     I came into reading this, the second part of J. Michael Straczynski's run on Wonder Woman, trying to have an open mind despite all the negative things I had heard about it when the monthly issues were coming out.
     What I found more than anything else from reading it was a feeling of bla. Bla. Bla. It's just ok. I love Wonder Woman and it had some nice action but...bla. Even all the things people got so upset about I was saying bla to.
     When they released the costume design I didn't like it much, way too late 80's early 90's comics for me, but costume changes never bug me that much. Hell with a character that's been around as long as Wonder Woman has she's had more costume changes than a model. The story just fell flat and seemed more than anything else a long way to go to get to a costume change and origin fuckery.
     I like J. Michael Straczynski. I love Babylon 5 and think his run on Spider-Man is one of the best ever for that character. Well, those last couple volumes sucked but I try to forget them but Wonder Woman Odyssey was so much talk with nothing happening and I don't really mean dialogue. The nothing of the changes and the nothing of the controversies. In story. In changes. In what a creative talented writer had to offer to a legendary character I came away just bla.
     Superman: Grounded Volume 1
     I really liked the idea behind this story and it has some good moments but I think if it had been fine tuned into a two issue story it might have been one of the best Superman stories ever. You could have handled Batman's involvement in that early scene on the JL satellite but no you had to have a "Batman" issue.
     This had too much filler and reminded me a lot of a old Doctor Who episode that had a great idea but they had to fill 5 episodes with a 2 or 3 episode story.
     And another thing that bothered me. J. Micael Straczynski didn't write this alone. If you're are going to put a writer's name above the title they should have written the whole book. I understand marketing but that pisses me off as a writer but comics have always played fuckballs when it comes to credits.
   *I already had someone on Goodreads ask me why I gave these Wonder Woman and Superman stories 3 stories when it seems like I didn't like them much. Well, I love the characters, the attempted ideas, and some moments of the stories and that's worth 3 stars to me. And if you're interested there is a link to my Goodreads page here on the right and down a bit, though the reviews are longer here.
     Ultimate Comics Captain America
     I have always liked the idea of there having been other Captain America's while Steve Rogers was frozen. I just think its a logical process a government in the Marvel Universe would take during different times of war in American history.
     Now this concept is hitting head the Ultimate Universe. This story hits as doing just what it was trying to do. It advances the character building of Captain America and puts big highlights on one of the better characters of the Ultimate Universe.
     Ron Garney has always been one of the best Cap artists in my opinion. I really should talk more artists when I do comic reviews because they can be make or brake for me when picking up a book.
     Captain America is my favorite Marvel character and has been for years. Back when I bought monthly issues I probably had more Marvel Cap issues than any other non-team book. I had everything from 100 to issues around 2004. All of those were donated to charity a while back though as I trimmed a ton of my individual comics. Small apartment living does that to comic collections.
     Star Wars Jedi Council: Acts Of War
     Worth a read if you are already a big fan of the franchise but it might not have much appeal to someone who isn't deep into the universe.








     I also read Y The Last Man: Vo.7 4 out of 5 stars {one of the best comic book series ever} and also Saga #3. Both of these I picked up at the 3rd Saturday of my local comic book shops Free Comic Book May celebration. Famous Faces And Funnies is a great store and if you are local to here in Melbourne Florida, check it out.


Here's some cool links:
     John Green talks about lockeroom issues with his team: Trouble in Paradise: The Miracle of Swindon Town #113
     My favorite comics reviews show: FFFIC Episode #45 
     I think anyone can enjoy a show that talks about being frozen Solos style, fake asses for spanking fun, and teaching geography through a zombie outbreak. 4 Points - Joel David Moore joins Alex Albrecht and Alison Haislip: Ep 3
     One of my favorite podcasts Geektress 145. And I tried to feed them my hatred of hardcovers. And no I'm not going to rant more on that here. That can wait until next week when DC releases another book I want first in HC. I still cry BULLSHIT but I might be the only person :(
     Can Mythbusters Destroy Pins? - All Star Bowling. We really need to go bowling soon.
     There are just so many really good webseries and Crash Course is one of my favorite educational series because you get the knowledge and you get the funny. Wait For It...The Mongols!: Crash Course World History #17
     This is cool.


Rants and screams:
     Sad news. I really enjoyed watching the WPS. I wish their had been some way they could have partnered with MLS the way the NBA does with the WNBA. I've watched more WPS than MLS and that's says a lot about what I think about the MLS and I might be wrong but I think the WPS closing down not only signals bad things for the WNBA but also the MLS. WPS closes it's doors
     Two Florida cities are on this? Probably because the place is so ass cracking hot and most of the people are asswhipes and that make it that you just would rather stay inside and read or if you go somewhere take a book so you don't have to ineract with other humans. America's Most Well Read Cities

    But what about the children's and their fragile little minds? Free Speech Advocates Score Victory in Utah

     Our government as a whole are condoning this type of hate speech from churches by allowing churches bigot celebrations to be tax free operations. This needs to end. These churches do nothing for the community and the country as a whole.  And I know a lot of churches are not saying things like this but are they coming out against this type of hate? Are they showing love to their fellow man and woman? Then you are justifying this speech by your silence.


     Need to start ending blog entries with things I know some people reading this will get their old panties up in a twist about and since I'm having lunch with a friend later here's something for you Tankgirl if you're reading this. And if you are wondering I found that video here on Jimmy Palmiotti's blogger.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: