Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I talk about Camelot 3000, Drift, Free Comic Book Day, and This Is Not A Test

The book I'm currently reading is Drift by Rachel Maddow. I'm finding it really interesting to look over the history of the military and how in a lot of ways our leaders have failed the military and failed the country as a whole. I'm not normally a nonfiction reader except for news and when I'm doing research but I love this book.

Someone earlier today asked me if I could recommend 10 books right off the top of my head without thinking. I'm going to do the list without thinking bu then ramble some comments on each one.
Just a warning about things coming off the top of my head. My head has a weird shape so these books might be so inclined. I thought this would be cool to do and also how about picking up some of these which are comics at your local comic book store during Free Comic Book Day. Most stores have sales during that event.

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
*I'm still behind in buying these volumes but my love for them has never passed. One of the best stories period of the past twenty years. I usually pick up at least one volume every year at Free Comic Book Day and will probably do so again this year.
A example of a great comic store. Mine recommended this book to me a long time ago and it was just the first of many things they pointed me towards based on things they knew I had liked in the past.
Batwoman Elegy by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III
*You can start with the Elegy story or the new DC 52 first story of Hydrology. One of my favorite comics of the past ten years are these Batwoman stories. With art that shows you storytelling skill that can be breathtaking at times and writing that seems straightforward but hits you with sucker punches when needed I can not recommend this book more highly.
Camelot 3000 by Mike W. Barr and Brian Bolland
*Whenever someone tells me to recommend a comic they may not have heard of I point them in the direction of this book. As a fan of Arthurian Myth since I was a kid this just blew me away the first time I found the first issue at a bookstore in the mall. With its new take, great art, and nice twists it showed me there were great adventure comics outside superheros. When I think of it right now it actually reminds me Game Of Thrones for some reason? HBO get on that.
Crisis On Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman and George Perez
*This was the first DC comics I ever read. Up to this point I had only knew of the DC characters from cartoons and TV shows. Ever since that moment I've tried to buy everything George Perez has done. Still the best well crafted crossover book ever. The writer and artist took what could have been a mess, as a lot of company wide events have been since, and they put you in the middle of a universe falling apart. Heroes fighting a losing battle and while doing all of that each rescue, each death was felt.
Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa
*I loved this series. I went in thinking it didn't have much weight to it but it does. This series dealt with brotherhood, military actions, war crimes, what a hero is, patriotism, genocide, and sacrifice.
This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers
*Courtney Summers 4th book, this story of zombies goes beyond being about walking flesh sticks into a story about many things that we face in life and as with a lot of great horror stories it shows how horrible real life really is.
You can find my review here but I will say this also. I'm not a zombie fan. I'm always found them boring and still think they aren't the best fit for a long ongoing story but for a self-contained book you wont find a better zombie story than This Is Not A Test from a writer who has did nothing but get better with each book she has written.
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
*One of the few books I've given 5 stars to. One another is actually This Is Not A Test. My review for this book can be found here. A story about siblings, reality, and whether reality matters at all.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season Eight by a lot of talented people
*If you are a Buffy fan from the TV series give this series a shot. I consider that series to be one of the best in Television history and I loved these books. They are on Season Nine now but as I only buy trades I'm always behind. It captures the essence of the series but moves on from it as it needed to do.
The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson
*My review for this book is here. Since I was a young messed up kid I've read everything I could find on the Jack The Ripper killings and when Mar told me Maureen Johnson had a book on the subject coming out I was in. In like gin..... I don't know what I meant there, read my review. This update is longer than I planned for it to be.
Secret Six by Gail Simone and many others
*I say start with Villains United and go from there. The title link takes you to a link for a read order. If you don't have Secret Six on your list of the best comics of the past 10 years you should be kicked in the balls or...... Mar just told me punched in the tits hurts also. Shit! It's does hurt. I just got punched in the tit. So that's what you get; so go read these books or SUFFER!

I provided Amazon links but check out your local comic book store first. Mine is Famous Faces And Funnies.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: